HK and Cult Film News's Fan Box

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Jess takes on co-opting the color green!

Jess was inspired to write this while we were watching HUMAN GIANT on MTV (which is absolutly hillarious) and we saw an ad for PIMP MY RIDE and how its going green (yes, I really did just write that).

Going “Eco” or “Ego?” My Analysis of the “green” effect on society

Recently, Ian and I have been planning our impending summer wedding (8/31/08, woo!). As I have been perusing the many magazines for brides-to-be, I have noted a troubling trend: “green weddings.” Now, I have no problem with environmentalism; in fact, Ian can attest to my love of picking up litter (don’t ask). Anyway, I have always believed wholeheartedly in the need to preserve the world, plant trees, cut down on emissions, etc. I previously celebrated Earth Day by doing my share, cleaning up parks and the like, when I was in middle school, and I continue to have an interest in recycling and taking care of the Earth.

You might be asking, if this girl is gung-ho about environmentalism, why is she griping about “green?” Well, the simple response to that query is this: I hate the co-opting of a COLOR for political agendas. I was pissed with the red/blue state crap in 2004, (blue is my favorite color, but that doesn’t mean I’m a Democrat (Independent all the way!)), and now this heightened eco junk is pissing me off. Seriously, when did the combination of blue and yellow come to define environmentalism? When did the “green” cover of Vanity Fair become more than simply a background choice? Why the hell are all of my lovely bridal magazines adorned with “go eco” and “can your wedding help save the world?” Really? Do people ACTUALLY believe that by having recycled paper invitations and moss in their floral arrangements they are “saving the world?” And, this is not a joke, my The Knot for Spring/Summer 2007 actually suggests to “try fair trade” for after-dinner coffee? When the hell did free trade become ecological? Did I miss something?

This was my problem at college too. I was incredibly keen on joining the environmentalist group on campus, known as LEAP. I wrote an email to the president expressing interest in going to their meetings and helping out with their activities. Little did I know the group was basically a shill for the Green Party and all of their potlucks were vegan. Can’t an environmentalist eat meat or have different views? Also, the group was full of elitist snobs who felt they were “doing their part” to help the planet. Yeah right. On Lehigh-Lafayette Day, a day of drunken debauchery on March field, the members worked “hard” to clean up the mess left by the idiot lushes after the tailgating parties. Ian and I went over to see if we could be of assistance (I told you I love cleaning up trash; it’s a sickness!). Instead, we were shoved aside because they supposedly didn’t need anyone else to help out. Okay, does that make sense to anyone? Shouldn’t an environmentalist group want to involve as many people as possible in cleaning up the grounds of the field? That wasn’t even the most annoying aspect of LEAP, however. After they went about collecting the aluminum beer cans strewn across the grass and mud, they left. THEY F’ING LEFT. Did they clean up the food, the plates, the TRASH all over the field? Oh, no. That’s for the custodians to do. But they clearly did their part, right?

I hope I haven’t offended anyone, but I really am sick of this crap. When politics mingle with good old recycling and picking up litter, no one wins. People should want to help clean up for the sake of doing something selfless, not because it makes them look good to others. I once had my middle school principal come up to me and thank me for cleaning up the halls when no one else did. I didn’t do that for anyone but myself, yet I appreciated his gratitude. The sight of litter disgusts me, and it’s the same people who profess to be “green” and “eco-friendly” who do nothing about it.

When magazines about traveling suggest “where you can stay to change the world,” you know this has gone too far. Seriously, we need to take back the color green. If I want green at my wedding (celery or pistachio…I haven’t decided yet), it’s not going to mean it’s a “go eco” wedding. Our wedding will be a celebration of our favorite colors, not our political beliefs. Hey, we have enough problems as an interfaith couple as it is! :)


Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

Derek said...

As I sip on some bottled water... yeah, people will find reasons to make themselves feel superior to all others. We can't all be naturally great like I am. There seem to be a lot of little things we can do to save water, energy, etc. Like going to tap water. Or not leaving the faucet running while brushing your teeth or shaving. A liter of water comes out pretty fast. If you're having a huge wedding with over 200 family members you don't give a damn about and people you're maybe semi-acquainted with, it's a huge waste of resources no matter what you do. Same with bar mitzvahs and sweet sixteens.